Frequently Asked Questions

How to prepare for the first consultation with NVC Abogados

To be most effective in our first meeting, make sure to send us all the documents you have beforehand. The more information we have, the better we can prepare and the easier it is for us to find the solution you need. Provide copies of your passport and other legal documents. Describe your case as detailed as you can. 

Our aim is your satisfaction by perfect teamwork. Our internal organization is dedicated to function impeccably, you provide us with external information. Our cooperation is indispensable for the success of our process.

Never hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

What's the timeframe for obtaining a temporary or permanent visa for Peru?

Our priority is your satisfaction. Therefore, we guarantee you the fastest process possible. From the moment we hand in your documents at the authorities to issuing your Peruvian ID card, it normally takes 90 days. 

Can I apply for a work visa before coming to Peru?

Besides entering Peru with a tourist visa and applying in Peru for a work visa you have the option to enter Peru on a business visa. If you’re in possession of a business visa, it might be easier to obtain a work visa. For more information about entering Peru with a business visa please contact the Peruvian embassy or consulate in your home country.

Can a US citizen work in Peru?

For working in Peru, US citizens have to apply for a work visa at the immigration office in Peru. You can enter Peru with a tourist visa which is valid for 90 or up to 183 days and once you have a work contract you can apply for a work visa. The work visa is usually valid for one year, but with proof of an ongoing work contract it can easily be renewed.

Which documents do I need to travel to Peru?

For the citizens of most American and Western European countries, a tourist visa is not required. The maximum period of stay of 183 days per year is given by the authorities, this period can’t be extended. If you would like to stay longer or start working in Peru, you need to apply for a work visa.

For entering Peru with a tourist visa it is necessary to carry a passport with six months validity. Proof of return or ongoing travels is sometimes required by the immigration officer but more often by the airlines who will already deny you to check in at your airport of departure if you don’t have a return or onward ticket. 

Please make sure to check yourself before you book your flight to Peru as visa requirements constantly change. 

What level of Spanish is required to live in Peru?

It is not a must to have a high level of Spanish to survive in Peru, but it will make your stay definitely easier and more rewarding if you speak at least basic Spanish. And by practicing and listening to the language every day, you’ll learn it very quickly.

Only about 10% of the Peruvian citizens speak English. However, the percentage in Lima, especially in Miraflores, Barranco and San Isidro and as well in the touristic destinations is remarkably higher than in other places.

Nevertheless, regarding your immigration process, it is recommended to have a certain level of Spanish. At Interpol and Migraciones,  the staff speaks only Spanish and  all papers are only available in Spanish. If you don’t speak any Spanish at all, someone will have to accompany you. The same applies to opening a bank account, obtaining an insurance or any other services. The fact is that the residency will be granted to you also without speaking Spanish, but it is highly advisable to learn the language.

What to do when losing your passport?

Losing your documents or any of your valuables is definitely something very annoying and we certainly hope that you’ll never have to face such a situation. However, it could happen to anyone. The first step after realizing that your document is gone is to contact the police station. The police provides you with a letter which you need to present at your home country’s embassy together with a copy of your lost or stolen passport. They will provide you with a new passport. 

If you have to catch a flight the next day, the embassy issues a special documentation for you, that will enable you to make the journey without passport, this document is only valid for this one trip.

We recommend you not to carry your passport with you unless it’s absolutely necessary. A copy is sufficient for identification purposes. Make sure to have a scan or photo of your passport on your computer or mobile phone, too. This should include the entry stamp of the country where you’re currently traveling. 

Book a consultation

Reading information online is always helpful to get first ideas but everyone’s personal situation is different. Therefore, we offer you an easy way to book a consultation.

  • Consultations about one or several topics of your choice
  • No matter where you are in the world, the consultation time is shown in your time zone and will take place via Zoom. 
  • Get a professional evaluation by an experienced Peruvian immigration lawyer
  • Safe payment with PayPal or bank transfer
  • Consultation at our office in Lima by prior agreement